Lot 451

Select image below to view larger

AMERICAN SCHOOL  (19th/20th Century)
The Four Masted Schooner W. H. Talbot
Oil on artist board
Identified on bow and stern, flying an American flag and bearing perhaps trace signature lower right
15.75 inches x 23.75 inches

Important Notice: The absence of condition information in the description does not imply that the lot is in perfect condition, a condition report is available by request.

Estimate:  $500 - 750   € 400 - 600
Price Realized: $1,625.00

In April 1910 the schooner W.H. Talbot was crossing the Pacific Ocean from Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia to San Francisco. She was under the command of Captain Andrew Knudsen. Knudsen was the father of Agatha and Sylvia who were making the voyage with him. In mid-Pacific Captain Knudsen became very ill and was no longer able to assume command. About the time that he was confined to his cabin a tremendous storm overtook the vessel such that it seemed the sea was trying to hammer the schooner into submission in his absence. Shipping giant seas, the vessel took an unmerciful beating. The crew was wet to the skin and tired and worn from endeavoring to keep the ship into the wind. No hot food could be cooked and sleep was out of the question. The wind snapped the jib-boom and sprung the mainmast and for a while it seemed that the Talbot was doomed. The girls were very apprehensive. They tended Captain Knudsen in his illness but knew that he was far too ill to come on deck and take command. The young ladies were also aware that the short-handed crew had been worked to the point of exhaustion just handling the ship. Urgently needed repairs had gone unheeded. The situation seemed hopeless when Sylvia appeared on deck in her dad's sou'wester, oil skins and sea boots. The crew for a while were sure that the girl had taken leave of her senses. Sylvia insisted on relieving the man at the wheel so he could be of use in helping repair the ship's rigging. Sister Agatha, not to be outdone, alternated with her sister handling the helm around the clock. For several days the young ladies tended the wheel at the mate's guidance and kept the tempest-tossed schooner on course. The extra help was the shot in the arm needed to keep the crew going. The Talbot eventually made it to San Francisco. Captain Knudsen recovered and the two girls became the toast of San Francisco's waterfront. The storm-battered schooner got a face-lifting at a local shipyard and went on to many years of hard sailing until she was broken up on the Chinese coast in 1924.

Hover / touch large image to magnify